Sunday, March 27, 2011

Datuk Bandar Kuala Lumpur Launches First Tourism Awards 2011

The Mayor of Kuala Lumpur, Datuk Seri Ahmad Fuad Bin Ismail has launched the inaugural Kuala Lumpur Mayor's Tourism Awards 2011. He said these were the first such awards created to recognise and appreciate those in the KL tourism industry who have contributed to make Kuala Lumpur an attractive international tourist destination.

"Kuala Lumpur has much to offer now as compared to a decade ago. Now the city has many modern shopping centres, world class tourist attractions, entertainment & dining outlets, multinational chain hotels, MICE, parks, sports, medical and educational centres, more efficient transportation system and multi-cultural centres that have created a distinctive identity and image for the city. Foreign tourists now gain greater experience when visiting Kuala Lumpur and the impressions that are taken back to their countries have further elevated the profile of the city" said Fuad.

"The tremendous success of putting KL on top of every travellers mind is done through the contributions, investment, commitments, passion and efforts made by the tourism industry players at all levels. Now is the time for Kuala Lumpur City Hall to reward their contributions", he added. The awards will help boost the standards of delivery of products and services in the industry and encourage all tourism operators to strive for nothing less than excellence.

There will be a total of 9 awards and a KL Lifetime Achievement Award. They are for Accommodation, Restaurant, Nightspot, Shopping Mall, Tourist Attraction, International Tour Operator, International Airline and Media Publication - magazine.

There will also be recognition awards, the Front Liner Award, to recognise industry front liners, who have performed over and above the call of duty in providing an outstanding experience for tourists. These individuals could be from any part of the industry for example hotel reception staff, taxi drivers, waiters, doormen, tour guides, stewardesses, and information counter personnel.

Nomination forms can be downloaded from the official awards website at www.klmayortourismawards.com. The closing date for nominations is on 21 April 2011. Nominations can be done in three methods that include self-nomination, third party nominations and by invitation.

The award winners will be determined by points awarded by the panel of judges as well as public on-line voting. The judges' points will count for 95% of the total marks while public voting will count for the remaining 5%. Members of the public can cast their votes online from the 2nd of May 2011 by visiting the official website.

The judging will be conducted by independent panels of judges for each of the categories of awards that will be presented. Stringent judging criteria have been set by the panels of judges for each award and the judging process will take over a month to complete. The awards are scheduled to be presented in mid-June 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment